The bedroom is one’s personal space in a home. It is where one often retreats to for some alone time to break away from the complexities and disquiet of the world. Moreover, the bedroom is a one’s own space where about a third of their lifetime is spent sleeping to recuperate, recharge and reenergize after a long day. Hence, a bedroom has to have a tranquil, comfortable and an aesthetically pleasing bedroom environment so as to promote quality sleep and alone time.
What Is Indie And What Design Elements Are In An Indie Room?
When it comes to designing and decorating a bedroom, there are important factors to look into, especially if you want to create a space that incites peace and quiet, and rest and relaxation while at the same time depict your individual style and preferences. An indie room is inspired by indie aesthetic. “Indie” is a shortened word for “independent” and involves culture of the ‘70s but is for the most part correlated with the ‘90s culture and hereafter. Indie would then relate to “independence” and individuality.
Essentially, the major quality of an indie room or an indie-inspired interior design features one’s uniqueness and personal style. This can then mean that one’s design ideas and approach stems from their individuality, from own independent and distinct taste and style.
Decoration is crucial for an indie room. Indies choose unique patterns and style, including the interest for handmade items instead of factory-made. They focus of colors, patterns, pieces, and texture. Decorative items are often repurposed and Indies take on the Do-it-Yourself (DIY) approach to create and design rather than just buying off the shelf pieces. However, when they do purchase items, Indies support independent artists, designers and craftspeople who are not part of huge, industrialized companies and businesses. But still design and create (often handmade) a wide-ranging variety of products (even personalize or custom-make items).
Are You Indie?
To create an indie room, one has to give emphasis on design aesthetics merged with your personal or individual design taste, style and touches. From outlandish, eccentric or unconventional fixture and furnishing to quaint, vintage, retro or old school décors, Indie Aesthetic gravitates towards keeping your design elements utterly and downright different from anything or anyone. To make your room indie aesthetic, you have to know what “personal style” is. You should be an individual, to be your unique self, and an independent. This will surely make your approach to Indie design and décor more “uniquely you”.
Are you Indie? Is Indie Aesthetic for you? Consider the following to find out if you are indeed Indie or if Indie Aesthetic is for you:
- You live life to the fullest and enjoy the things you love and that makes you “you”. You unbothered by what others think or say and ignore haters.
- You have appreciation for the old, forgotten or neglected things or those that are worthy of more love and appreciation than what they’re getting.
- You take an independent approach to life. You know what you want and are not afraid to be different or to move away from the norm.
- You are yourself and can express your individuality not only through words but also by the way you dress, the music you listen to, the movies you watch, and the choices that you make. You voice out you’re your opinions and your beliefs.
- You choose timeless culture over mainstream culture. You look into the past as well as the present to perceive that timeless quality. Mainstream culture is fleeting, hence will not withstand time.
- You enjoy DIY projects, explore new hobbies, learn new skills and aren’t afraid to be creative and push your boundaries.
- You buy from local thrift stores and deviate from big brand names and stores.