Corruption can be defined as the abuse of power for personal or private gains. Corruption is so damaging that it can weaken democracy, erode trust, hamper economic development and also, exacerbates poverty, social division, environmental crisis and inequality. Exposing corruption and making the corrupt pay for their crimes will happen only if we truly understand how it works and the system that has enabled it.
Fundamentals about Corruption
As a matter of fact, there are many forms of corruption and it may include behaviors similar to:
- Public servants taking money or favors or even demanding in exchange of a service
- Politicians who are misusing public money or perhaps, granting public contracts or jobs to their friends, families and sponsors
- Corporations bribing public officials in order to secure lucrative deals
Here’s something that you should know, corruption could take place anywhere whether it is in https://swedish24.co.kr/ or any other business, the government itself, media, civil society, and in courts. Not to mention, all sectors from education and health to sports and infrastructure.
Additionally, corruption may involve anyone including government officials, politicians, business people, public servants or the members of public.
Corruption always happen behind the scene and oftentimes, with the backup of a professional enabler like:
- Real estate agents
- Anonymous shell companies and;
- Opaque financial systems
These entities could allow the schemes of corruption to flourish and for the corrupt to hide and launder their illicit wealth. Corruption is adapting to various contexts as well as changing circumstances. It may even evolve in a response to changes in legislation, rules or technology.
What’s the Cost of Corruption?
If it would not be stopped, corruption can damage the different sectors of a nation including the following;
- Political Costs – this affects the public’s freedom and rule of law
- Social Costs – public’s participation and trust in the government is tainted
- Environmental Costs – your chances of getting sustainable future and healthy environment is in danger
- Economic Costs – it limits the opportunity to build your wealth and grow it
These are only few of the compelling reasons why it is a team effort not just for government officials but also, for the citizens of the nation to end corruption.